# Visa & Passport

Q. Can I enter into Korea with a tourist visa and change the visa status while I am in Korea?

A. Basically, you cannot change the status of your visa from one type to another while you are in the Republic of Korea. If you want to stay for more than 90 days without having a D-2 Visa, you must leave Korea and re-enter into Korea again.

Q. How long does it take to get a D-2 Visa?

A. Since it may take anywhere from a few weeks up to several months to obtain a valid student visa, it is very important to inquire with the closest embassy or consulate of the Republic of Korea for more information regarding visa application requirements and processing times as early as possible.

# Living in Korea

Q. How much will study abroad in Korea cost for a year?

A. As a guide, you will need between KRW 8,000,000 and KRW 10,000,000 per year (12 months) to pay for accommodation, food, transport, books, clothing, health services, entertainment, etc, but this can vary according to individual circumstances.

** Estimated Expenses for international students (for one academic year/2 semesters) **
– Tuition fees KRW 7,000,000
– Room (On-campus housing) KRW 2,500,000 (Sep. to Jun.,  or Mar. to Dec.)
– Board (Food) KRW 3,000,000
– Books/Materials KRW 300,000
– Insurance (if required) KRW 200,000
– Daily Living Expenses KRW 3,000,000 (Mobile phone, local transportation, clothing, and more)
– Miscellaneous KRW 500,000


Q. Can my dorm application be turned down? 

A. Very rarely. Our dorm office gives new international exchange students first priority for dorm rooms!

Q. I haven’t submitted the Health Examination Form. Is it mandatory ? 

A. All dorm residents are required to provide the form before check-in. If you have ‘t submitted the form, you need to take a medical examination organized by our dorm office after your arrival in Korea.

Q. I have received a housing scholarship. Do I have to pay a deposit?

A. Yes. There is a KRW 40,000 security deposit. And all students should pay the deposit at the time of check-in.

KRW 30,000 will be refundable when you check out.

Q. Do I have a telephone and Internet in my dorm room?

A. Yes, each dorm room has a telephone. And all students have an Ethernet port in their dorm rooms. You can use the telephone & Internet free of charge. And HUFS Wireless Network is freely available upon registration (you need to have a HUFS regular ID & password to access).

#Course Registration

Q. I don’t speak any Korean. Are there many courses offered in English?

A. Yes. Please check our office’s website (http://international.hufs.ac.kr/courses) to get the full course listings.

Q. I applied for Seoul Campus. Am I allowed to take some courses in your Global Campus?

A. No. You can take courses offered only in Seoul campus. Moreover, it’s too far to commute from Seoul to Yongin City, where our Global campus is located.

Q. I want to take the Intensive Korean Language program as well. How can I register for the language course and is there any extra fee to pay for that?

A. Korean language courses will be offered to exchange students at no cost. Our Korean language center will ask you in class around the end of October whether you will keep attending the language courses.

Q. Where can I get information about the course time table and classroom assignment?

A. You can download the syllabus for each course you have selected. The syllabus includes the course periods and classroom information. Details can be found at:

http://international.hufs.ac.kr >> Courses >> Course registration

Q. I have found many courses taught in a foreign language. Does it mean they will be taught in English?

A. No, it means the course will be taught in a foreign language other than Korean. Most of the courses in the Colleges of Business, Social Sciences, English, and International Division will be taught in English. However, courses in foreign language departments will be taught in their local language. (e.g. Japanese conversation -> in Japanese)

Q. I want to take both the regular semester program and the Korean language course. How many regular courses can I select?

A. We recommend you register for around 2-3 regular courses if you want to take the Korean language course as well, because it (the Korean language course) is very demanding.

Q. Can I drop some courses?

A. Yes. There is a course drop/add period every semester.

You should drop any courses through our system, otherwise you will have an “F” on your final record.

Q. I am in my senior year at my home university. Am I allowed to register for some graduate courses?

A. Yes. Our Graduate School and Graduate School of International and Area Studies accept BA students who are in their senior year. To register for any graduate courses, you need to attend courses and get permission from each professor. You should use the course permission form for Graduate studies.

#Life @ HUFS

Q. How much should I pay for the fitness center?

A. Globee Fitness Center located in the dorm building is open to you free of charge. But there is a monthly fee of
KRW 15,000 for the Minerva Fitness Center.

Q. Where can I get my HUFS ID card to use all these facilities?

A. You will receive a student ID card which will allow you access to various on-campus facilities. When you arrive on campus, you need to visit OISS (Office of International Student Services) to pick up your ID card. There is no fee for the card.

  1. Thomas Lugagne Delpon
    January 17, 2014 at 9:22 pm

    I have sent my dorm application for Seoul Campus during Spring semester, that has been received by the Office of International Students Services, but not by the Dorm office.
    Should I send it to Dorm office too ? How can I send it to them ? Thanks for any answer !

    • January 20, 2014 at 1:38 pm

      Hi! No you do not need to send it to the dorm office. As soon as the dorm office finishes making all room assignments, the information will appear in the online system. Look forward to welcoming you to HUFS soon!

  2. Montserrat Bernal
    July 5, 2014 at 10:50 am

    Hi! Where can I get information about my application to the Seoul Campus dorm? I already have my certificate of admission, but I haven’t received any information about the dorm.
    Thanks for your answer!

  3. Inès
    July 8, 2014 at 5:49 pm

    #Housing and #Payment.

    I would like to know how should we pay the fees at Woori Bank : by cash or can we pay by international bank transfer?

    Thanks for any answer!

  4. Jacqueline
    July 22, 2014 at 11:09 pm

    I want to take the Intensive Korean Language program as well….
    I know that Korean language courses will be offered to exchange students at no cost but is it the same with VISITING STUDENTS? (or do they have to pay for the intensive language program?)
    Thank you 😉

    • July 23, 2014 at 9:09 am

      Hi, Jacqueline.
      Visiting students are required to pay for the Korean language program fee. Tuition fees for the Language program are fully waived only to exchange students from our partner universities.
      Thank you,

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: